Air Purifiers for Apartments
Oftentimes you can’t control the quality or quantity of air circulating through your space and many buildings share ventilation between units. Don’t let stale and musty air, pet odors, or food smells overshadow your apartment. Find out why so many apartment dwellers love the BreatheSmart 45i.
Need help finding what you need? Our Customer Support team is standing by at 1-800-630-2396 to answer all of your clean air questions.
If you are looking for an apartment air purifier, you have many of the same air quality concerns as residents of a house, but you also confront some specific challenges. The air in your apartment contains pollutants that originate in your space and from your neighbors. You may share ventilation with your neighbors, which means that you breathe in particles from your neighbors, including their germs and cigarette smoke. Additionally, mold is common in many buildings. Building management may not address any air quality concerns you have, and if you have health issues, this can be concerning. Even if you do not notice these pollutants impacting your health, they may be harmful to visitors, and it can be embarrassing if poor air quality negatively impacts your guests. An apartment air purifier can help you take control of the air in your apartment and remove harmful particles.
Apartment Air Purifiers with HEPA Filters
An air purifier is a small, portable device that can eliminate pollutants in your apartment. Many people look for air purifiers with HEPA filters. HEPA stands for high-efficiency particular air and refers to a type of mechanical air filter. HEPA filters are the most effective for removing common allergens and pollutants from the air. They remove particles by forcing air through a fine mesh mechanical filter where they are trapped and can eliminate at least 99.97% of mold, pollen, dust, and other particles with a size of 0.3 microns. That is why allergists recommend HEPA filters for allergy sufferers.
How to Choose an Apartment Air Purifier
Reducing the air pollution in your apartment is vital for your health, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends a portable air cleaner to help you breathe easier. They issued a guide to help the people determine which air purifier is best for them. They recommend that you consider:
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR): this score helps you choose the right air purifier for the area it serves.
- Fan speed: air purifiers with powerful, high-speed fans will increase the amount of air that can be filtered.
- Runtime: air cleaners with longer runtimes can filter more air.
- Activated Carbon Filters: this type of filter effectively removes gases from the air and filters out airborne particles.
In addition to air pollution, apartment dwellers may be concerned about noise pollution, too. If you like a quiet apartment or work from home, look for quiet air purification systems that will not interfere with those afternoon naps on the couch or virtual meetings.
Air Purifiers and Apartment Size
An important consideration for selecting an air purifier is the size of your apartment. Air purifiers are given a CADR number. Higher CADR numbers indicate that the device can serve a larger area. HEPA filters help an air purifier achieve a higher CADR. In addition to listing the CADR, the air purifier packaging should indicate the room size or area it can serve. You may need more than one air purifier if you have a medium to large apartment (700+ sq. ft. or more).
Do I Need an Air Purifier in Every Room?
In addition to the size of your apartment, you also need to consider the layout. An apartment loft will have different air circulation than an apartment with multiple bedrooms. You may be able to filter the air effectively with a single air purifier if you live in a small loft. However, many apartments will need multiple units for effective air filtration. If you need clean air for your health, or it makes you uneasy to share air with everyone else in your building, get an air purifier for every room in your apartment. This creates a network of worry-free air. If it’s not in your budget to purchase multiple air purifiers, you can get a single unit and move it from room to room as needed.
Use the following as a guide for selecting the number of air purifiers for your space:
- Small apartments under 500 sq. ft.: 1 cleaner with a 190-320 CADR
- Medium apartments from 700 to 900 sq. ft.: 2 purifiers with a combined 450-580 CADR
- Large apartments over 1,000 sq. ft.: 2 or 3 cleaners with a combined 650+ CADR
We recommend the Alen BreatheSmart 45i Bedtime Combo or Alen BreatheSmart 45i Air Purifier for Pet Odor and Danger for apartments. Both units cover up to 800 square feet, and larger apartments with multiple rooms require multiple air purifiers.
Common Pollutants in Apartments
Many pollutants may be present in your apartment building, and the type of air purifier and filter that is best for you can vary based on these particles or gases found there. There are some common airborne pollutants and gases that show up frequently.
- Mold. For apartment dwellers, this is a common pollutant. Without proper ventilation, water can accumulate in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms, and moisture causes mold to develop. HEPA filters are effective at removing hazardous mold spores from the air.
- Allergens. Pet dander, pollen, dust mites, and other common allergens in your building can accumulate in your living spaces. If your building has issues with cockroaches, their feces and body parts (from deceased cockroaches) can become airborne and cause health problems, especially in children. HEPA filters can remove these dangerous particles from the air.
- Smoke. No one likes the smell of cigarette smoke in their home. If you have a neighbor who smokes or a window near a popular outdoor smoking spot, you may inhale dangerous second-hand smoke. Wildfire season may also cause smoke to accumulate in your apartment. Air purifiers with HEPA and carbon filters effectively filter out smoke.
- Chemicals. New products you bring into your apartment, including furniture or carpeting, can give off volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs are toxins that can harm you when inhaled. Look for air purifiers with carbon filters to remove VOCs.
Improving Air Quality in Your Apartment
If you are searching the web for an “apartment air purifier,” you probably have some concerns about the air quality in your apartment and building. An air purifier is an essential tool for ensuring that the air in your apartment is safe. There are some other things you can do to help.
- Minimize the moisture that accumulates in your home by addressing leaks and wiping down wet surfaces often.
- You can improve ventilation and airflow by opening windows and getting fans.
- Ask smokers to limit their smoking to certain areas.
- Remove non-airborne particles by vacuuming and washing linens often.
Apartment residents can only do so much. You may need to involve your landlord if there are issues that fall outside of your control. Let your landlord or property manager know when problems in the building are impacting air quality. If the landlord does not address the issues promptly, you can speak to the municipal authorities in your area about how to handle the conflict. The EPA also offers some resources for renters who have issues with indoor air quality.
Why Choose Alen?
At Alen, we are on a mission to improve your quality of life by making the best air purifiers on the market. Alen’s True HEPA air purification systems have received thousands of five-star customer reviews from residents of apartments and homes alike. When you choose Alen, you know you are breathing worry-free air because:
- Our medical-grade HEPA filters remove up to 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns in size.
- We offer upgraded filter options, including activated carbon filters that remove gases and particles.
- Our powerful, high-speed fans force air through the filter more quickly.
- Laser sensor technology auto-adjusts fan speed when airborne particles are present.
- LED color rings indicate real-time air quality.
- Alen’s whisper-quiet air purifier produces calming pink noise that helps you sleep.
- Every air purifier comes with a lifetime warranty if you register the product and use our filter subscription service.
Shop Alen today to see how you can start breathing easier in your apartment.